On March 21, 2015, after the WVSSAR Board of Management meeting in Point Pleasant, WV, Compatriots Steve Hart and Ray Kane visited Fort Randolph.
Fort Randolph, located at Krodel Park, Point Pleasant, West Virginia, is a replica of a fort that was built at Point Pleasant WV in May of 1776 to serve as an outpost and deter against Indian raids. The original Fort Randolph was built at the site where the Battle of Point Pleasant was fought on October 10, 1774 between Virginia militia and Indians of the Shawnee and Mingo tribes which were led by Shawnee Chief Cornstalk.
The replica Fort Randolph was built in 1973-1974 and was officially dedicated on October 10, 1974, the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Point Pleasant.
In the fall of 1777, Chief Cornstalk of the Shawnee tribe, visited Fort Randolph to warn the garrison that the some of the Indian tribes planned an attack on the fort. Chief Cornstalk, his son Elinipsico, Red Hawk and some other Shawnees were detained and held at Fort Randolph. When a Virginia soldier was killed outside the fort, an angry mob, led by a Capt. James Hall, murdered Chief Cornstalk and the other Shawnees.
On May 20, 1778, between 200-300 Shawnee, Wyandotte and Mingo warriors attacked and laid siege to Fort Randolph. But the sister of Chief Cornstalk, Nonhelema, had warned the Fort Randolph inhabitants, helping to save the fort.
Fort Randolph was abandoned in 1779 and the Indians promptly burned it down.
Fort Randolph was rebuilt in 1785, but later, it too was abandoned.
The original Fort Randolph stood where the town of Point Pleasant is now located, so the replica Fort Randolph was built at Krodel Park, which is about a mile from the original location of the fort.
Visit the Fort Randolph website for further information, including their calendar of events. There will be a re-enactment of the Siege of Fort Randolph held on May 15-17, 2015, and other activities throughout the year. We highly recommend you take your family to Fort Randolph for a memorable visit!
To view more photos of Fort Randolph, visit our Photo Album