The following information is provided by WVSSAR Secretary/Treasurer Frank C “Joe” Khare to help assist WVSSAR chapters in filing their required IRS Form 990-N.
The IRS form 990-N (“e-postcard”) must be filed each year. lt is to be filed no later than the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of your chapter’s fiscal year. Example:if yourfiscal year endson December 31, file the 990-N between January 1 and May 15.
On February 29,2016, the e-postcard.990.org website was discontinued. The new website is www.irs.sovl990n. Users must register on the new website. Old logins and passwords did not carry over. New instructions are below:
To file you will need to know your chapter’s Employee Identification Number (ElN) and the name and address of your chapter’s president.
Go to www. irs.gov/990n
First time? Follow the instructions for “First Time Users”. Then SAVE THE INFORMATION IN YOUR TREASURER’S RECORDS.
Questions to be answered:
- Has your organization terminated or gone out of business? NO – UNLESS YOUR CHAPTER HAS DISBANDED AND THIS IS YOUR LAST 990N
- Are your gross receipts normally $50,000 or less? YES [if NO, exit,.]
- Organization’s legal name: LEAVE THIS ALONE
- Employer identification number (EIN): LEAVE TH|S ALONE
- lf your organization conducts business using another name (dba), enter other name:
LEAVE THIS BLANK – THE CHAPTER NAME IS NOT AN ALIAS FOR THE NATIONAL ORGANIZATION
- Organization’s mailing address: ENTER THE CHAPTER TREASURER’S ADDRESS
- Organization’s website address, if applicable: LEAVE THIS BLANK
- Principal Officer: ENTER THE CHAPTER PRESIDENT’S NAME AND ADDRESS -THE CHAPTER PRESIDENT IS THE PRINCIPAL OFFICER
Now click on SAVE CHANGES. Next, click on SUBMIT FILING TO IRS.
Wait for the IRS acknowledgment e-mail to appear in your in-box. When it arrives, print a copy for your chapter records and forward the e-mail to the WVSSAR Treasurer.
You can download this How to File Your IRS 990-N article HERE
For more detailed information about IRS Form 990-N, go to the IRS website.